We try not to get involved in logo design as there are many issues.
When you talk to a logo designer make sure that you have covered the deliverables:
- All Items should be delivered on a CD
- The logo should be designed for print. (Will the logo print on various print media)
- The logo should work for digital media. (Not just websites, pdf files, powerpoint, overhead projectors etc etc)
- The actual deliverables should contain
- Eps files for print
- Original source files eg Adobe illustrator
- Logos delivered as .gif, .jpg, and .png.
- A good logo designer will also deliver versions for fax heads and items that will photocopy
- How about a version for embroidery onto hats and shirts?
Good luck, and dont do this on the cheap.