Come and join us to learn how to prepare, structure and deliver your argument in a formal mini-debate. A Toastmasters meeting with a difference.
Gain an understanding of debating at this taster event:
What is a good debate?
If a proper debate is to add value to a problem that needs a solution then there are minimum standards that we should expect:
- Relevant rational arguments
- Use of reliable evidence
- Being able to convince others of the truths
- An allowance for cross-examination
Debating is essentially a tool for decision making.
Once the arguments have been made and the truths have been tested then we should, on balance, be able to make a good decision.
What to Expect
Hone your communication skills and improve your leadership abilities:
- Work in teams rather than as Toastmaster individuals
- Learn to argue points you would not ordinarily agree with
- Think on your feet in order to refute the opposing arguments
- Being able to respond to your own arguments being attacked
- Enhance your active listening skills
- Learn how to focus and respond under pressure and within strict time limits
- Constructing persuasive arguments
- Spotting *logical fallacies
- Getting to the heart of issues under discussion
- Winning the arguments while keeping the audience on your side
Enhancing Your Career
“I now submit my proposals after I have considered the downsides and alternatives”
– Lindsey Stout, Verizon Speakers
Location is Tech Mahindra, 1st Floor, 401 Grafton Gate · Milton Keynes
Kindly hosted by Paul Imre